Friday 25 July 2014

Testing Crazy Beauty Techniques

I come across my fair share of crazy beauty techniques online and in magazines, but ever since I tried out a mayonnaise-based hair mask in 8th grade (before soccer practice in sweltering weather, no less), I've held off from trying anything too weird. Lately though, there have been several techniques that I've been curious to try, so I gave them a go to see if they were good enough to incorporate into my morning beauty regimen.


Triangle Concealer. 
Claim: Concealer in the shape of an inverted triangle reflects light in a way that makes the dark circles under your eyes seem nonexistent by drawing attention away from the hallows of your eyes.

Reality: I always use concealer directly beneath my eyes, so extending it so low felt like I was adding a lot of extra make-up that wasn't necessary. But the result really made my eyes look brighter and more awake.

Step 1: Using concealer, draw a triangle, starting from the corners of your eyes that meets in the middle of your cheek and fill in completely.

Step 2: Either dabbing with your finger or a sponge, blend well.


Baby Powder Eyelashes Claim: Add a layer of Baby Powder to lashes to make them longer and fuller.
Reality: I don't usually wear a lot of mascara, so this was definitely a bit dramatic for me, at least for everyday. The baby powder definitely did help the mascara adhere to it and made my lashes feel thicker, but they also felt a bit heavy. I had to re-curl my lashes (since they were droopy from being weighed down) and comb them, which seemed to help. I'd definitely try this at nighttime or for an event if I didn't feel like wearing fake eyelashes.


Step 1: Apply one coat of mascara.
Step 2: Dip a Q-tip in Baby Powder and apply to the base and tips of lashes. Finish with another coat of mascara.

Scotch Tape Cat Eye 
Claim: Use Scotch tape as a guide for a flawless cat eye.

Reality: On one eye, it worked perfectly. The other eye was a bit smudged, but easily fixable. The thing I like most about this technique is that the tape helped me get the angles of the flick to be the same, instead of one veering way higher than the other.

Step 1: Apply Scotch tape along the bottom lash line up towards the end of your eyebrow. Apply eyeliner and let dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment