Tuesday 21 October 2014

Questions To Ask A New Babysitter




In my experience being a nanny and from what I've heard from the parents I've worked with,  becoming parents to a newborn it is completely customary to feel totally overwhelmed by the process of finding a nanny.  How do you even begin? I wondered.  So from my experiences with everything from nanny parent relationships to the interviewing process I've figured out how to find wonderful babysitters, including 8 questions to ask.

Step 1: Scout potential sitters
This is the hardest part, I think. Finding potential babysitters through word of mouth from friends, as well as online parenting forums in your neighborhood. Once you find a handful of people,  Set up phone interviews.

Step 2: Ask enlightening interview questions
For the phone interview, I've found that these eight questions have helped me learn a lot about someone's personality and decision-making skills:
1. Please tell me about yourself and your experience with children.
2. What do you think kids like about you?
3. What's your favorite age child to take care of?
4. What kinds of activities do you like doing with kids of different ages?
5. Have you ever had a philosophical difference with parents you've worked for, or is there something they asked you to do that you would have done differently?
6. How have you handled discipline with kids you've cared for?
7. Can you tell me about an emergency situation you've been in while babysitting, or something that scared you?
8. What questions do you have for us?

Step 3: Talk candidly with references
References are usually positive, so in an effort to speak candidly, always make sure to ask, "What did you NOT like about the babysitter? What are some things you found bothersome?" Then you're much more likely to get a direct and straightforward answer, and you can decide if that thing is a deal breaker or not.

Step 4: Meet the nanny for a play-date
After narrowing down the list to your favorite two or three candidates, meet each of them in person with the kids. Since you've already done the phone interview, you won't have to talk about anything major and can just chitchat and play with the kids and spend time hanging out. It's great to see their personality and if everyone has a good vibe!

Step 5: Trust your gut
To me, one of the most surprising things about hiring nannies is how much it's like dating. When you've interviewed potential nannies, sometimes they'll look perfect on paper (tons of experience, glowing references), but something won't click, or I'll just have a funny feeling that something's not quite right. It's such a personal and intimate relationship, and you want to find someone who you and your children will fall in love with—and who you can trust. Another surprising thing is how much I've loved the parents I have worked with. I have become part of their family, and I adore them so much more than I ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment