Thursday 25 September 2014

She For She


For those of you who haven't seen Emma Watson's UN speech about gender equality, it's profoundly moving and worth watching. She maintains that in order to move toward equality, there needs to be solidarity between men and women - that everyone needs to be involved. And I couldn't agree more. But it also got me thinking about where to start and I believe it has to begin with women.
As a whole, I don't think women support each other enough. Instead of feeling inspired by others that are doing good, far too often our instinct is to knock them down. We're quick to find fault and make generalizations that are based on assumptions, not truth. A lot of that stems from insecurity and jealousy, but I think it's also a reflection of our society. Fueled by an inactive consumption of media through our TVs, computers and phones, there's a disconnect. From behind a screen, there's an added layer that creates a distance and allows us to be judgmental instead of accepting, skeptical instead of impressed.
I was so moved by Emma Watson's speech that it made me want to do more. More to encourage other women to support and praise each other, to rise up together in hopes of achieving the equality amongst men that we so deserve.
*image via stocksy 

No comments:

Post a Comment