Saturday 20 July 2013

Public Service Announcement




Just thought you should know that the avocado pasta recipe from Oh She Glows is ridiculously good.
avocado pasta

{avocado pasta}



I was apprehensive, because the idea of heating avocados icks me out. But for this recipe you toss the creamy avocado sauce with hot noodles and while it just heats through, it doesn't really get hot.

She warns you to serve it immediately, but I don't think that's completely necessary. It's great fresh and I certainly wouldn't re-heat it but it tastes perfect straight out of the fridge. You know how creamy sauces are gross cold because the fat congeals? This doesn't happen - the sauce stays perfectly creamy and doesn't harden when cold. So, so good.

I used wide noodles and modified only slightly, by adding a few handfuls of arugula to the bowl before pouring the hot pasta over it and then adding the sauce. As you mix it all together the arugula wilts and I like the slight bitter contrast it adds.

I will say this - the recipe recommends using a food processor but when I tried it I found it messy and not very effective, and I'm normally a huge fan of the food processor. The volume wasn't big enough and the oil splattered everywhere. The first time I used my little blender and the sauce turned out creamier {I think because it emulsified better?} so I'm going to stick with that. 

If you have an avocado surplus around, you know what to do. And it doesn't take any longer than boiling a pot of water and cooking the noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment