Monday 5 January 2015

Thoughts On 2015

Happy New Year! These last few days have been blissfully empty and have given me time to reflect on this past year to see how things have changed in the past twelve months (I started by writing this post welcoming 2014). In short: a lot. My main goals were to push myself - to try new things, look past boundaries and embrace change. While that didn't exactly happen in the form of taking ceramics classes and cooking lessons, my life has radically shifted from where I was last January and I couldn't be more excited.

Instead of coming up with resolutions, I'm more focused on larger goals for how I live my life. I'm not interested in setting unrealistic objectives - actually the contrary - for me, it's more about tapering expectations. I don't want to pretend that I'm going to be a perfect person, someone who never loses her patience.  So if I don't get to that load of laundry/email/spin class, that's okay. This next year is going to be one big learning curve, so I want to go into it without expecting too much of myself.
Along those lines, I've only recently begun to appreciate the notion of not having to do everything by myself.  I've always felt more comfortable handling things on my own. But, I've slowly learned the importance of relying on others. This also relates to some of the best advice I've received - that it's not just me. 
Lastly, I want this year to be about being present and not bracing for what's to come. I'm someone who craves control and when it's not a viable option, I'll often go into a crazy, anticipatory mindset hoping that it will somehow prepare me for what's ahead. Not only is that a waste of time and energy, but more often than not, what I think is going to happen rarely pans out that way. So here's to enjoying the process and not simply focusing on the end result.
I have a good feeling about 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment