Friday 16 August 2013

Karaoke Go-To Song

my-best-friends-wedding
At some point, karaoke became a regular social outing with friends, which was around the same time I became intensely self conscious about my voice. I have a good ear, but that just means that when I hit the wrong note, I'm acutely aware of it. My first time, I chose a song I knew, but really only at parts. Then, a few seconds in {Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer"}, I realized that I wasn't going to come close to hitting the high notes. The rest of the experience was a panicked blur, but it involved calling all of my friends to help and avoiding the microphone at the chorus. Don't get me wrong - it's not like I'm now some sort of a karaoke aficionado, but I've learned a couple of things over the years. Pick a song you know, like really know and something that's fun and upbeat, one in which you'll sound halfway decent belting out. It's also made me realize that being slightly prepared will make the whole experience much more enjoyable, so I have a go-to song that I always choose when I do karaoke. Mine is Tom Petty's "American Girl." Everyone knows it {a bonus since the crowd will sing along and potentially drown me out}, and Tom and I both stick to a similar range. It's a win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment